Friday 13 July 2012

Stand by my grave and weep...


Went to a workshop today put on by basicfunerals.ca - it was pretty cool. The premise of being able to plan your funeral online and not having to go into one of those creepy funeral homes seems pretty cool to me. Anyway, their "icebreaker" was to have each person go around the room and tell what they envisioned their own funeral to be. Well I have went to way more funerals/memorial services, etc. than any human being ever should be and have put a lot of thought into this.

First, if I am at the point where I need a memorial service/funeral - I'm dead. Sure, I may be a ghost at this point but in general dead and have way cooler shit to be doing such as hanging out with Johnny Cash and scaring random people....maybe doing one of those "Ghost" scenes with someone who is doing pottery just to creep them out. Second, I know that I am not one of those people who doesn't want to upset people. I hear that a lot from clients, etc...they don't want people to be upset at their funeral, so they have a closed casket or they don't even have a service. Fuck that. That poem "Do not stand by my grave and weep..." that does not apply to me at all - I want the people in my life to stand by my grave and weep, I want them to fall on the casket in hysterics and be overwhelmed with sadness that I'm not around anymore. For most of my life I've been surrounded by people who don't show emotion and I've always been left to wonder if I mattered to them so when I die I want that big show of emotion because I want to know that I was loved and that I mattered. No, fuck it - I want that now, I don't want to wait until I'm dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment